Mark the date in your diary as Sunday 27th January 2013 means exactly 125 days until the British & Irish Lions begin their 125th anniversary tour of Australia, starting with a one-off match against the Barbarians in Hong Kong on their way Down Under.
As we reach this landmark date on the rugby calendar, the countdown is now well and truly under way with anticipation and excitement building for players and fans alike. For those players selected this is seen as the pinnacle of their careers whilst for those lucky fans in possession of match tickets, then get ready for history in the making.
To help mark this significant date, our Lovell Rugby team have scrummaged down and put their heads together to come up with our dream line-up to face Australia this summer, fitness permitting of course. With the Six Nations also only a week away, this is the ideal time for the players to stand out in front of the selection committee and stake their claim for a place in the British & Irish Lions squad.
1. Loosehead Prop -Cian Healy (Leinster & Ireland)
2. Hooker – Dylan Hartley (Northampton & England)
3. Tighthead Prop – Dan Cole (Leicester & England)
5. Lock – Courtney Lawes (Northampton & England)
6. Blindside Flanker – Sean O’Brien (Leinster & Ireland)
7. Openside Flanker – Chris Robshaw (Harlequins & England)
8. Number 8 – Jamie Heaslip (Leinster & Ireland)
9. Scrum-Half – Mike Philips (Bayonne & Wales)
10. Fly-Half – Jonathan Sexton (Leinster & Ireland)
11. Left Wing – Ben Foden (Northampton & England)
12. Inside Centre – Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues & Wales)
13. Outside Centre – Brian O’Driscoll (Leinster & Ireland)
14. Right Wing – Tommy Bowe (Ulster & Ireland)
15. Full Back – Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues & Wales)
With so much talk and speculation regarding the British & Irish Lions Tour of Australia, who would be your choices for pulling on the famous red shirt in Australia?
Whether your favourite player makes the team or not, you can still show your pride and support for the British & Irish Lions as they embark on their historic tour of Australia this summer. Choose from a selection of replica and supporters clothing alongside the test shirt, ladies , kids and infant clothing, rugby balls and much more.